The Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Laboratory (DISCL) at the Texas Tech University has broad research interests in parallel and distributed computing, high-performance computing, cloud computing, computer architectures, and systems software with a focus on building scalable computing systems for data-intensive applications in high-performance scientific computing/high-end enterprise computing.
- November 2016, We jointly hosted the The 1st Joint International Workshop on Parallel Data Storage & Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Systems (PDSW-DISCS’16) at SC'16 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- November 2016, We presented several studies at the ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'16) including an Emerging Technologies demonstration jointly with Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
- October 2016, Ph.D. students Mr. John Leidel and Mr. Xi Wang present papers at the 2016 International Symposium on Memory Systems in Alexandria, VA.
- August 2016, Ph.D. student Ms. Neda Tavakoli received a travel grant for attending the SC'16 conference in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- July 2016, Ph.D. student Mr. Wei Xie was awarded the NSF travel grant for attending The 11th IEEE International Conference on Networking, Architecture, and Storage (NAS'16). He is the leading author of the paper titled “Parallel-DFTL: A Flash Translation Layer that Exploits Internal Parallelism in Solid State Drives” and is the Best Paper Nominee. He will present the paper at the conference in August, and the Best Paper Award result will be announced. Congratulations to him.
- May 2016, Ph.D. student Mr. John Leidel was accepted to the IPDPS PhD Forum in Chicago, IL.
- April 2016, We jointly hosted the NSF I/UCRC Cloud and Autonomic Computing Center Semi-Annual Meeting (Gallery>>) and Texas Tech University 2016 Symposium on Big Data (Gallery>>) with one of keynote speeches offered by Dr. Tyrone W. A. Grandison, the Deputy Chief Data Officer of US Department of Commerce, discussing “Data-Driven Government - Big Data with Purpose”.
- March 2016, Ph.D. student Mr. Xi Wang and M.S. student Mr. Frank Conlon will join Micron Technology, Inc. and Sandia National Laboratories for an internship in the Summer 2016, respectively. Congratulations to them.
- February 2016, Ph.D. student Mr. Wei Xie will join ORNL (Oak Ridge National Laboratory) for an internship in the Summer 2016. Congratulations to him.
- January 2016, Ph.D. student Ms. Neda Tavakoli received a travel grant for attending the USENIX FAST'16 conference in Santa Clara, CA.
- November 2015, The 2015 International Workshop on Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Systems (DISCS-2015), a full-day workshop at the 2015 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference (SC'15), was successfully held in Austin, TX.
- November 2015, Mr. John Leidel, Mr. Xi Wang, Ms. Nika Ghiasi, and Dr. Chen will conduct a demo for “GoblinCore-64: An Emerging, Open Architecture for Data Intensive High Performance Computing” at The 2015 ACM/IEEE Supercomputing (SC'15) Conference in the Emerging Technologies (at EMT 117). HPC Wire.
- October 2015, Master's student Mr. Misha Ahmadian successfully defended his thesis entitled “Computation Reduction through Data Re-use for Scientific Applications”. Congratulations!